Landmarks and nearby attractions:
Sights & Adventures:
- Adam’s Bridge- this fantastical bridge is something almost out of a fairy tale: limestone shoals start from the tip of Dhanushkodi till the north-western coast of Sri Lanka. It is believed that Lord Hanuman used these stepping stones to reach Sri Lanka.
- Ariyaman Beach- what better way to enjoy the holidays than a relaxing time at the beach? Ariyaman Beach is a great spot for a lovely picnic and has lots of water-related activities like boating, wind-surfing and jet-skiing to be experienced. Other attractions include a children’s park, aquarium and museum.
- Pamban Bridge – this is the first sea bridge in India, opened in 1914. Initially being only a railway, the midsection of the bridge could be raised to allow ships and barges to pass through. Later on, in 1988, a road bridge was constructed, parallel to the railway, connecting the National Highway to Rameshwaram. This rail and road bridge was later rechristened as Annai Indira Gandhi Road Bridge, after the former Indian Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.
- APJ Abdul Kalam Memorial Place- one of the greatest leaders of India, the late President Abdul Kalam hailed from the Ramanathapuram District. To honour his memory and achievements this museum was built and attracts to Indians from all over to celebrate and appreciate his life.
- Nambu Nayagiamman Temple- it is believed that the Hindu Goddess Dakshina Kali had appeared to two sages. After this encounter, the two sages settled in the area and utilised their wisdom to cure ailments and other things. That is why, people from many neighbouring villages flock to this temple to seek help.